Meg Tilley Anderson BLOG

      "We've gotta laugh. We swapped immortality for accessories."
      -- meg tilley anderson

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Powerful Motivation


Several hours puttering in my office passed before I realized that I hadn't heard from Bart, except for the recent frantic bark reserved for "Let me in the house!" Once a stray dog, he has abandonment issues.

He wasn't outside the front door.

Or, on his bed in the loggia, or on his rug by the kitchen. BUT, I could hear his distress whistle clearly so I knew he was somewhere in the house.

He wasn't in either downstairs bedroom.

Finally I remembered his charge upstairs to watch me through the window. I'd refused to let him barge through the door and the crowd of cats waiting for supper on the front porch.


Sure enough, I found him on the landing. He was cowering. For some reason, he'd lost his nerve to go down the spiral staircase.


I turned on the light, sat down and calmed him. I coaxed him. I showed him to go on the outside of the steps where it is wider. He tried but was still afraid to step down.

Rollo and Miss Fern came to help. They soothed him. They showed him. No go.

Finally I gave up and went down the stairs followed by 4 cats who came to help.


Voila' that did it! Bart the Dog followed us.


Powerful motivation: A lot of love and attention, and friends to confidently show you the way; or, the need to not be left behind?

No comments: