Meg Tilley Anderson BLOG

      "We've gotta laugh. We swapped immortality for accessories."
      -- meg tilley anderson

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dog and Cats get along...

This afternoon I puttered.

I was making dry sticks smaller for my wood stove.

Bart was in his yard with me. Our cat colony was gathering for their supper.

The neighborhood dogs were all stirred up because the Georgia Power meter reader was doing his job. He uses a remote to read our meters so he doesn't have the dogs or plants obstacle courses. I don't know what he does about my neighbor's meter but just the fact that he rides behind their house to get to the meter at the Spanish Mansion a block away (where only ghosts live) is enough to set them (rightfully) off.

Inside our shelter of trees and shrubs, we can only hear the dogs. When they went off on a second threat, perhaps "that other dog" out on a walk, Bart was in his guarding mode. Behind me, I heard him growl at an intruder. I turned and saw him go after a grey streak of a cat in his yard on the other side of the wood pile. He tried for it again and I hollered at him. I admit I slapped his nose and scolded him for chasing a cat. As far as I could tell, he'd been chasing Genrallee who was now safely on the top of the wall.

I sent Bart inside, finished my sticks (interrupted by taking pictures of the yellow fungus on the sticks) and went outside the Bartyard hunting for more yellow. I found yellow, white, green, grey and red.

Returning through the cat patio, Fitch(a cat) growled at Generallee. Something was up. He was as nervous as a cat and jumped into the house when I opened the patio door. Bart jumped out. I kept looking for more yellow. I found some, and orange, and green.

When we finally went inside, Bart grabbed his special toy and dropped it at the feet of Generallee.

Dog apologized to cat. Cat went about his business, less nervous than before (the other cats all still say he smells different.)

Bart was totally relieved when Bond got home and accepted the apology.

No comments: