Meg Tilley Anderson BLOG

      "We've gotta laugh. We swapped immortality for accessories."
      -- meg tilley anderson

Monday, January 24, 2011

Cellphone Made Me Feel Like a Fool TWICE!

The screen went blank on Bond's third phone in a year. I'd run his first through the wash. The second one we found at the bottom of the pallet wood-scrap barrel was unreliable, probably why it wound up in the barrel without a Sim card, but with a charged battery (so we knew it worked). We found it a charger at Amazon for 3 cents plus shipping. #2 was also out-dated so we replaced it.

A blank screen made phone #3 almost useless; he could use speed dial or answer it. But If Bond missed a call he couldn't see who'd called and couldn't call them back. And forget about texts. But he'd never been able to turn off predictive text and refused to use that anyway. Most annoying was that he couldn't turn off the daily 6 AM alarm! He'd leave phone #3 in a far away room when he wanted to sleep in.

Phone #4 arrived via UPS on Friday. I unpacked it and put the battery in to charge the necessary (but very short) 4 1/2 hours. The other phone was still at work so I couldn't install the Sim card until later.

While Bond cooked our chicken dinner I read him the instructions and moved the Sim card. After a short break for a cocktail and chicken livers on toast, I returned to the instructions to learn how to turn the phone on. Instructions said to press and hold the "soft key". As I studied them, I noticed that the keys looked suspiciously smudged. I couldn't find one that looked like the picture so I pressed and held down the "disconnect" key and it started up, greeted me with "Hell-o Moto" and then told me there was no Sim card. At first I thought I'd installed the card wrong. Then I realized I'd picked up phone #3, FOOLISH ME! I changed to the other phone and continued the set up, including calling it with my phone and, later, calling my mom on speakerphone for a lovely family chat.

It wasn't until the next day I realized THE SCREEN WORKED! Bond had tried everything to make the phone work, EXCEPT taking out the battery.

No comments: